Wednesday 28 September 2011

The Return of the - Bean?

Dilemma: The time is now 18:30, and I return to Lambein from my job, quite ready for dinner.

 Abstract: Looking through my refrigerator, I find the only real leftover ... one that has been around for some time now. Yes, it is that dish of green beans, the one I wanted to do something about in the first post. My creative juices have subconsciously been stewing and simmering, and at last I am ready for action. The first step towards this wonderful dinner was taken last Saturday, when I was at the store with my Aunt and spotted a can of French onions. (Needless to say, they immediately went into my shopping basket.) Having cans of cream of mushroom soup in my closet, beans and milk in my refrigerator, pepper on my desk and onions in hand, I was ready.

 Battle plan: The major difficulty, as has been the case from the beginning, is that 45 minutes or even a skimpy half-hour is simply more time than I have available to cook something - especially a dish of beans, no matter that it is one of my favorite foods. Pondering the choices, I decide that cooking everything in my frying pan is my best option at this point; if it doesn't work out, then I will have added to my arsenal of knowledge. Piling everything into my pan, I head off to the kitchen. In my other hand I hold a little stack of dishes that have accumulated over the last few days (...where food abounded, dishes do much more abound...). I cover the bottom of the skillet with milk (I'm sure I'm not doing a full recipe, so it's pointless to measure since I don't know what proportions I would need) and turn it on to medium heat. [This electric stove stuff is going places; I haven't yet set off the fire alarm, and have thus far sounded retreat before burning anything.] Next steps are logical: open the can of cream of mushroom soup and pour it in the pan, pour the beans into the pan, stir, add some pepper, stir ... hopefully everyone can follow that. While the mixture is simmering, I wash the dishes that have had it coming to them for awhile now. They submit to the force of my will and are won over to the clean side by the time my beans have become warm and bubbly. I rinse and dry a couple of the bowls and pour the beans in, sprinkling French onions on top and letting it cool slightly while rinsing the rest of the dishes and putting them out to dry.

 Result: I eat dinner while learning how to use bloggers new format

 Reflections: Sometime I would like to try dicing up onions and sautéing them - I think it would add more flavor. Also, eating with crackers might be a good serving suggestion.

 Drawbacks: I discovered my almost complete lack of self-control when it comes to having a can of French onions that I don't have to share with anyone else ... I think I might need to go to confession now ...

Positives: 11 minutes after beginning, I have two nice bowlfuls of one of my favorite foods ever, and my dishes are done.

 Net Disaster = Zero

3 comments:

  1. You keep pepper on your desk? Now that's a dedicated cook for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, yes, about the French Fried Onions . . . I distinctly remember Thanksgiving one year (not so long ago)when you kept grabbing them and eating them whilst I was trying to cook :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Cocoanut: Sounds like our house.(except it was usually everything except onions :)

    ReplyDelete